New techniques learnt from the Youtube tutorial on creating a wood effect (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q03TgrTUbk):
- Add new colours to colour swatch
- Colours in swatch can be dragged to gradient stops
- Add an additonal ‘stop’ to gradient bar – dark either end, light in middle for 3D rounded effect
- For wood effect: Effects Gallery > Texture > Grain > Horizontal (or Vertical) – note, this created a rasterized effect.
- To create a random shape (good for knots in wood etc): Effect > Distort & Transform > Roughen
- Recolor Artwork tool (on toolbar above main content) – change color properties of the selection
- Opacity tool (on toolbar above main content) – add opacity to selected element